Monday, July 28, 2014

Morsel




My children, I have never been drawn to the eating of vinegar, but the Romans were drinkers in volumes of it, in they mixed it with water as their beverage of choice in a sort of cheap wine.
It certainly assists in digestion and is good for you, but even with TL and Mom eating vinegar on things, it just was too much from the white vinegar times of my youth that it seemed to burn my mouth.


This has all changed now and I am perplexed in a way, as when the event took place I was reminded of Boaz in the Bible and of Ruth from Moab, King David's and Jesus kindred.

"And Boaz said unto her, At mealtime come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left."

Ruth 2:14


See Boaz was a big sopper of things in vinegar. I admit I tried making venison in wine, and all it tasted to me was like wine, and when I will to partake of wine, I want to drink it, and not have my meat tasting of it. I guess the French like eating their wine, but it is just not for me.

I like the verse in Ruth a great deal, in we find sops of vinegar, and we find that the Boaz clan parched their  grain. That is quite out of vogue now like dipping bread in wine, like Jesus did.......you do recall he was doing that at the Last Supper, and you know now in Lame Cherry exclusive that Judas wanted to be Jesus as King, but that instead by putting his bread in with Christ into the bowl, he was the inferior type, and only partook of death in there can be no spiritual replacement of Jesus, thee only begotten Son of God Who takes away the sin of the world.
That is your treasure in this of the Word, in being explained how you never heard it before in why Judas dipped and what it's Spiritual meaning and condemnation meant. It is a like death those who allow themselves to be marked by the beast for the anti Christ. Just like clones genetically destruct as inferior as their can only be one original.

So, I was talking about parched grain. The Israelites had no corn. Corn was the term for kernels of grain. The grain they had was wheat and barley. Rye was a northern crop and a bi annual. The pasta wheat is a bi annual too of central Europe.
The reason people parched grain, as George Washington and the early Americans all parched grain, including corn as that was an American crop, was that it cooked the grain and made it more digestable for the body.

Parching is simple in one just heats a pan, and sort of pops the grain, as it browns it and the natural water in it expands in the heat to make it burst, but not as large as popcorn.
You can then grind this and eat it that way or just put it into the knapsack like the Kentucky Riflemen on their horses and go chase terror Indians or Europeans to retaliate for their murdering and raping your kind.
Parching was just faster than grinding flour and making cakes as that took time, and often times people did not have time, as in harvest.

As I was saying, TL is fond of vinegar and TL was having me try Balsamic vinegar with extra virgin olive oil. I have not been a fan of extra virgin olive oil, as in cooking it was stronger and it was imparting too much flavor into the food, so I liked the second rendering of it which was light in color.

This though sopping of morsels I am puzzling and pondering over, does benefit from the heavy fruity flavor of the extra virginal olive oil.

I conclude now this is a meal in this Balsamic vinegar mixed with the dark olive oil. Some wine might make it more glamorous with a bit of cheese, and then perhaps some fruit as in kiwi, strawberry, apple or seedless grape........I would do sweet baby carrots too as they might dip nicely also, but I see great merit in this lunch, and for a lunch some ham, cold chicken or pepper stick beef would put this far beyond what Boaz was living off of.

These people were working hard, as cutting grain, and making bundles, stacking it and then flailing it to beat the kernels loose from the heads is hard. You then have to throw it into the air to have the wind remove the chaff.
It is always done in dry weather, hot weather, and it is always dirty and tiresome work. Yet their high octane food content was vinegar and parched barley or wheat.

Having harvested grain I value modern threshing or combines in gleaning grain, as that was long work too even with mechanical means. Eating used to be very hard work and and I am surprised after all that, that people had any energy to eat.

I do enjoy though vinegar and oil, in the Balsamic and dark olive oil, with a chewy bread like French or sourdough. It is a pleasant experience in the fruity olive oil with the sweet sharp taste of the Balsamic.

I suppose they dipped things in vinegar as they had no salt in most cases and pepper was unheard of then from the Spice Islands.

Just thought I would share the experience in Bible eats, and people in America ate this way into the mid 1800's, as it was only after that the country was settled enough to farm wheat in quantity and having mills in all locations to grind the flour for biscuits.
Americans  though had no access to olive oil and no grapes really for vinegar, so their culinary habits were directed toward the English, bread, butter and jam.
When corn pressing became more available after the Civil War, I know George Custer in his last meals was eating just bread and corn syrup on it, in his dipping of the morsel. This was common in America up to the second world war.

I do appreciate that TL has broadened my horizontal palate, as I find myself like Sam I am, in I do, I do, like Green Eggs and Ham.


agtG